Library Visitors must give their signed agreement to the following policies regarding their use of the library. These policies are necessary because of the increased demands on the resources of the CHS, concern for security, and the fragility of much of the library collection. Visitors who fail to adhere to these policies may lose their Library privileges.
Please note: Books may not be removed from the Library under any circumstances.
1. The CHS Library is open to scholars who are currently engaged in a specific research project which matches the strengths of our collection.
2. The Director’s Office of the Center for Hellenic Studies reserves the right to refuse access to any scholar on the basis of the above criterion and adherence to the policies below.
Requesting Visitor Privileges:
1. All visitors must fill out the online form identifying themselves and describing their project, at least forty-eight hours (excluding Saturday and Sunday) in advance.
2. We will respond promptly informing you of our response to your request to use the library.
3. Only authorized visitors may enter the Library. All other guests (e.g., research assistants) must be approved in advance by Library staff. Children and pets are not allowed in the Library.
4. Continuing visitors must renew their applications each September.
Library hours for visitors are Monday through Friday, 9.00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
While at the CHS:
1. The Center's Library is a non-circulating collection. Books may not be removed from the Library building.
2. Visitors must log in and out of the main building every time they visit.
3. Visitors may bring only notebooks and laptops into the Library, leaving all book bags and cases in designated areas.
4. Visitors must limit their activities at the Center to research directly involving the Library collections, and to research related to their stated project. A collegial, scholarly atmosphere must be maintained in the Library at all times.
5. Food and drink are not allowed in the Library stacks.
6. Library materials may be scanned free of charge. Scanner availability may be limited if there is increased user demand.
7. Please do not re-shelve books. Visitors should return books to designated book return areas.
8. Visitors may check out books to an assigned shelf at the discretion of the Library Staff.